Thursday, May 27, 2010

Time of Your Life















"So take the photographs, and still frames in your mind. Hang it on a shelf in good health and good time. It's something unpredictable and in the end it's right. I hope you had the time of your life."
~Green Day

I haven't listened to Green Day since high school but but the lyrics to the chorus of "time of your life" so appropriately fit the season of life that we are in, I couldn't resist.

First, let me start off by sharing the excitement behind Ryder's smile. He now has his second tooth, claps when he's happy, and crawls everywhere. He loves keeping up with his sister and is able to defend himself if need be. What a busy week for the little guy!

Maddie's photos require a little more story telling. If you've been to Malibu Club in more recent years then you might know about Sven's House of Style. It's a store room for Tableau costumes, 'the opening' apparel, and a lot of random funky wigs, hats, and instruments.

In the weeks leading up to our departure Maddie would go into her closet and take all of her dresses out and leaving them on their hangers she would line them all up on her arm. Then she would come into our room and ask us if she could take all of her dresses to Malibu with her. She was so cute everytime she did this that of course our response was an enthusiastic, Yes!

For whatever reason the dresses did not make it up with us. Tragic for a little girl with a big heart for dress up. On our hunt for materials to make a toy boat, we stumbled across Sven's House of Style. Maddie lit up like the ball drop at New Years in Time Square. She tried on sequin hats, bandanas, played bugles, rode the stick pony, and wanted to twirl in princess dresses. We had a blast!

After our time of dress-up we finished our original plan of searching for materials to build a toy boat like the one we read about in a favorite book. We found a pencil, string, cushion, pop can and brown paper bag for our project. Together we built our little toy boat. We had a great time being resourceful and practical in choosing items to work with. It's amazing how little you need to construct a great project!

Maddie is having a grand time rock climbing, riding her bike, helping out in the dining hall and traveling by tractor or boat to whatever destination we are off to. I think I had a little "ah, ha" moment today when we were walking back to our 'treehouse' after helping a friend deadhead rhodies. Maddie was walking along and I asked her if she wanted to go in the boat and make s'mores tonight with friends. She started leaping through the air exclaiming "Oh, yes! I love riding in the boat!" With joyful exuberance she danced all the way home.

I remember not so long ago leaping everywhere I went. I loved my years in dance and it just came naturally to leap, twirl, or chasse to whatever destination awaited me. My Grandma recently sent me an e-mail encouraging me to enjoy looking at life through the lens of a 3 year old. I am finally getting there. So, on our way to dinner we left 40 minutes early. I followed behind her the entire way as we walked on 'balance beams' came across Hairy and Jerry - cousin slugs that come out only after the rain, blasted off of her favorite rock and went down to the beach to throw rocks into the water. After dinner we got our boat ride in and a lot of yummy s'mores to fill our tummies.

I have a feeling that this summer is going to fly by - like trying to catch the wind. But I've determined in my heart to make the most of the time I have, in this beautiful place, with my incredible family, to love and serve a gracious God.

Julie

No comments: