Monday, June 14, 2010

Hosanna!





In the Christian tradition the Greek translation of Hosanna is a cry of praise or adoration shouted in recognition of the Messiahship of Jesus entry into Jerusalem. As a little girl sitting in a pew at St. Matthew's church in Hillsboro, OR I recall many times reciting Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. At the time I didn't grasp the fullness of what the word truly meant or how it applied to my life.

Fast-forward 15 years to my college days at PLU. A fiery bible loving roommate of mine had a revelation of Hosanna in her life. She would walk around declaring without fear this beautiful word. At first I thought it was a peculiar exclamation to use outside of a Sunday morning Catholic church service. But the way that she lived out Hosanna made a lasting impression in my mind. Now, here in this beautiful place I am reminded again of the word Hosanna.

The word has gained in popularity in recent years with the release of the song "Hosanna" off of Hillsong United's Saviour King label. If you haven't heard the song I suggest you take a moment to listen to it. It's a beautiful song but more importantly it is a cry of praise and adoration.

When I was selecting which pictures to post this week I couldn't help but think, Hosanna! over the one of my daughter in her swimsuit standing out at Hamburger Point. It was taken on Matt's day off. We left Ryder with a sitter and set out to have a Maddie only date. It was fantastic. She wore her princess flip flops and frilly suit. We put flowers in her pigtails and walked around camp without a care in the world and set out to go kayaking. Matt navigated us through a harem of seals and pristine beauty before we arrived at Helena Creek and falls. After a quick look around we headed back to get Ryder. Maddie alternated between rowing, eating her bunny fruit snacks, and putting her feet in the water. Matt and I were completely soaked which made it all the more fun and carefree. We arrived back around noon and ran into some dear friends who shared a fun idea with us that they used with their children called "backwards meal". So we headed straight for the ice cream shop and got a scoop of Mango Marble ice cream and walked backwards to get lunch and ate our vegetables last. It was a hoot and Maddie thought it was the best! Later on that evening Matt and I were able to hike up to Inspiration Point with the summer interns to share in a time of reflection and prayer while the sun set. It was magnificent.

The photo of Ryder was taken when I found him hiding-out in-between the refrigerator and dishwasher. I had been frantically searching our house for him. When I finally spotted him I exclaimed "Ryder James!" He giggled hysterically like he had been found in a game hide-and-seek and we both had a good laugh! He just loves to hear his name and loves to laugh out loud. I cannot help but think thoughts of praise and adoration for my wonderful children. Maddie is a fun-loving spitfire and Ryder is a sweet and mellow snuggle-bug and they both make their mommy and daddy so proud.

The picture of Kara and I was taken the day she headed back to the states. It was a gorgeous morning with the air crisp and the sun shining. The smell of cinnamon buns surrounded us, which is enough to make Matt cry out Hosanna! We were so blessed as a family to have her here with us before her next journey to Alaska. We LOVE you, Kara!!

So, when you come across moments of selfless love, mercy, beauty or justice think of the word Hosanna. Let it be a declaration of praise and adoration for the One who loves you, gave his life for you, has poured out abundant blessings and set the heavens and earth in motion. "You have set your glory above the heavens. From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise." Psalm 8:1-2

Blessed,
Julie

No comments: